Monday, February 6, 2012

Ichiro, 165 Front St., Manhattan

Pat and I have only ourselves to blame for our appalling dinner from Ichiro, in the Financial District, tonight. We are always whining about how we can't find a good Thai place that delivers to us, and so we applied ourselves the internet for a new option, and Ichiro billed itself as an "Asian fusion" place. But it's not, is it? It is a Japanese place, and we were fools for ordering the Thai dishes. Fools!

Pat's pad thai did not taste like pad thai, and it had bell peppers in it, inexplicably. My red curry was simply not red curry! It actually wasn't bad, whatever it was - it was basically stir-fried vegetables. But I wanted red curry, and red curry I did not get.

The ordering itself was also an exercise in frustration. The online ordering function didn't work, so we called, and while she was very nice, the woman taking the order just was not up to the task of understanding English. (Side note: lest you should wonder whether this was why I didn't end up with red curry, that's not the explanation, as "red curry" was written on the order slip that came with my non-red-curry dish.) In particular, she was thrown for a loop when I told her the apartment number was 2J. I wondered if the Japanese language doesn't have a "j" sound, as German does not; I was referred to as "Chennie" for the nine months I spent in Austria.

Anyway, eating my non-red-curry in dismayed resignation, I looked on the web for Thai restaurants in Jersey City, and found a few highly-rated places within delivery or even walking distance, so hopefully we'll have better luck when we move across the river in a couple of weeks.

No comments: