Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kitchenette, 1272 Amsterdam Ave., Manhattan

I am looking for a job, and I've been doing a lot of networking. I was in Morningside Heights one afternoon last week talking to the head of AVAC, an HIV prevention advocacy organization, and turned to my trusty NFT afterward for a recommendation for an early dinner. Kitchenette was just a couple blocks away.

When I walked in, my eyes seized upon three cakes in domes on the counter. They looked moist and naughty and I hungered for them. But I'm eating for two and it would be wrong to forsake some genuine nutrients for a piece of cake, so I did the sensible thing and ordered real food: a biscuit with eggs and cheese. I'm not saying it was healthy or anything like that. But at least I got, you know, protein and calcium and whatnot. Also, it was unholy delicious. That biscuit was decadent, and a perfect complement to the copious scrambled eggs with cheddar melted in.

And then, having checked the "real meal" box and feeling pretty full, I nonetheless ordered a piece of cake, naturally. It was the right move. I chose the lemon cake. The crumb was spectacular, the taste angelic, the frosting tart and somewhat jelly-like. Baby would not have wanted me to miss it, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I've been dreaming about lemon cupcakes lately -- serendipity? Thanks for visiting my blog and asking about the Levain Bakery copycat cookies. I left you a long comment there.