Thursday, April 7, 2011

Max Restaurant, 181 Duane St., Manhattan

After Pat finished work, I met him at his office and we just wandered north and looked for something appealing for dinner. We found Max Restaurant in Tribeca. Our first pleasure of the evening was Delirium Tremens on tap.

The next was a prosciutto and mozzarella appetizer. The mozzarella....so FRESH!! Every bite was a brand new joy. Why isn't there mozzarella like that in Washington? What is it about New York that makes unbelievably fresh mozzarella a possibility that doesn't exist 200 miles south? It doesn't matter, does it - all that matters is that we have arrived in Mozzarellaville and we're not budging.

Our entrees were superb, for the price ($12 and $14). Pat had spaghetti with a lamb ragu sauce. At one point, after he had consumed every last noodle, I witnessed him dipping a piece of bread in the remaining sauce, tapping parmesan on top, and then spooning more sauce on top of that, then eating it. My ravioli with spinach and ricotta was in a perfect tomato sauce and let's just say there was no question as to whether I had finished, when I had finished.

We were on such a roll that I couldn't resist a dessert I wasn't even hungry for, and I'm not sorry at all about polishing off that tiramisu. It was a little gooier than traditional, but that probably only made it more tasty.

We'll be back.

No comments: