Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cookshop, 156 10th Ave., Manhattan

I think this blog has exactly one reader, my husband Pat (thanks for your loyal following, sweetie!). So I'm not really worried that anyone who should hear this sort of thing from me in person will find out from the blog that I am 14 weeks pregnant.

It really needed to be said on the blog, because it is a big reason that the writer of a blog that is primarily about restaurants has visited so few restaurants lately. Food and I have developed a new, frequently contentious relationship since early August. I have to think about food all day long, because an empty stomach is a trigger to throw up. Planning and eating food all day is very tiresome. And while it's starting to get better with the end of the first trimester, a lot of foods are/were no longer appealing. For a while I was subsisting on starches, desserts, and some seafood, and hoping my embryo/fetus was getting by on the vitamins I've been taking to compensate.

All this to say, eating became a chore, and hence the lack of posts in the last couple months (additionally, I have traveled a lot, which I also don't recommend doing while under the influence of a fetus).

Anyway, I still manage to throw on the one pair of jeans that still zips up and get out every now and then, and so Pat and I went to Cookshop in Chelsea with our friends Stephanie and Graham one night a week or so ago. We had a mushroom pizza appetizer that was remarkably good, and I had a steak (flank? I can't remember) that was not so good - too many unchewable strings that are awkward to deal with in public (I enjoyed the leftovers better the next day, when no one was around to watch me wrestling with them).

No comments: