Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Del Posto, 85 10th Ave., Manhattan

Pat and I love high-end restaurants, but we don't splurge all that often. One of the things we love about New York is the endless low- to mid-priced restaurant options. Last weekend, however, some foodie friends visited and we were delighted to make our first visit to one of NYC's best restaurants, Del Posto, in the Meatpacking District. It was a hell of a great evening, lasting almost 4 hours! The menu has five- and seven-course price fixe options and we chose the former. Some of the courses you choose individually and some as a table. Literally all of it was marvelous.

I had a lobster and seaweed appetizer that featured a veritable mound of lobster meat chunks. Our collective first course of a pasta filled with oozing taleggio was perhaps a little one-note but at the same time so divine, I could have stopped there and been content. It was followed by more pasta and by the time I got to my main course, a seafood soup, I was dismayed to find I was already full! I couldn't finish it, and barely touched its interesting accompaniment, a toast with shrimp. Man, just the thought of seeing all those succulent shrimp come and go, uneaten, makes me grieve a little.

Our waiter was quite charming, an older gentleman whose ability to deliver exactly what we needed was gracefully natural. There were calls to take him home with us.

Obviously I was not drinking so I will have to blame the very late hour, and the fact that my stomach was no doubt diverting blood from my brain, for my inability to remember what exactly I ate for dessert. I do remember that I finished it and it was great. Also we were treated to a little cheese grater drawer filled with miniature sweets inside and on top, and I ate those too, goshdarnit. Make no mistake, Del Posto is expensive. But for a special occasion, it was worth it.

No comments: