Saturday, December 10, 2011

Balthazar, 80 Spring St., Manhattan

On Thursday morning, I met another of the moms-to-be on the Herpes Mamas list (I know, I shouldn't call it that, but I'm gonna - see my earlier post). We had breakfast at Balthazar, in Soho. I had hazelnut waffles with fruit sauce and it was eminently satisfying. Pat has heard this restaurant is very good and I would like to try it again for lunch or dinner.

Mary Beth is really cool, just like the other pregnant chicks I met last weekend, and she too is due in March. I am ecstatic about meeting these fun women, and I really hope we will all get to know each other better not just in the next few months but after we have our kids, when I'm sure I'll crave their company all the more. The Herpes Mama list was a great find. I was initially a little put off that there is a $55 fee and they make you meet one of the organizers, to prove you're legitimately a downtown mom (or mom-to-be), before they'll add you to the list, but already this has been worth that and much more. I met a fourth cool woman named Jazz for coffee yesterday too, and will be meeting another named Lori (plus reuniting with Katherine from last weekend) on Sunday. I also got three free pairs of maternity pants from a mom on the list!

I went to Dumbo after breakfast to hunt down a particular Christmas gift and ended up getting there before the store opened, so I stopped for a bit for a hot chocolate at the bar at Al Mar, 111 Front St. My hot chocolate was good and frothy and the space was airy yet cozy, so I note it for further exploration.

No comments: