Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hundred Acres, 38 MacDougal St., Manhattan

Pat and I joined his coworker Caroline and her husband Kurt for dinner at Hundred Acres, in the West Village. We noticed there are actually several appealing-looking restaurants on that block.

I liked that when I ordered a Coke, it came in a big glass with lots of ice and was readily refilled. That is what I look for in a Coke, even though I am supposed to limit my pregnant self to no more than a 12-ounce caffeinated soda per day (I tried not to drink too much of the refill!). Coke is my substitute for alcohol, so it needs to be offered in an expansive way. There is nothing worse than getting it in a tiny bottle (fountain Coke is so superior) or small glass. And speaking of alcohol, despite being unable to enjoy it, I was nonetheless impressed that the one-sheet menu included not only one whole side devoted to wine, but two columns on the other side devoted to cocktails, beer, and whiskey.

And then what little (okay, I'm joking) space was left on the front had a very mouth-watering selection of food. I was trying to decide between the shrimp and grits, and the duck leg confit, and when Caroline ordered the former, I went for the latter, hoping for a bite of hers too, which she provided. It was fine, but to be frank, I made the right choice with the duck leg!

The duck leg was great. It came with two meaty-tasting sausages and pieces of acorn squash, which paired nicely with the meats. I was very, very pleased.

I polished it off and was stuffed, but could not be totally dissuaded from dessert. We collectively dove into a brioche bread pudding and a pear/raison cobbler. The cobbler was fine but not as exciting as it had sounded. The sweet potato ice cream on top was impressive, but I could have used more than just that little scoop of it. The bread pudding was really excellent - very butterscotchy.

No comments: