Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stella, 213 Front St., Manhattan

It is always a danger to visit a place where you know a bunch of people and only tell some of them that you'll be there. This is what happened to our friend Marc, who made the mistake of posting on Facebook something about being in New York for a work trip, prompting others to be annoyed that he had not made an effort to see them.

But Pat and I are the golden friends whom Marc DID alert to his visit, so we got to have dinner with him at Stella, in the Financial District. I am feeling pretty superior about this favoritism.

I had fish and chips. It was fine, but maybe I should have chosen something less altogether fried. I don't know. The fried battered fish and the french fries really just left me with an impression of "fried." On the other hand, we ordered a mac and cheese side that was phenomenal. I know, I know, it is hard to go wrong with a mac and cheese side; one is rarely disappointed, but still this was really good even beyond the obviousness of it.

One note about the ambiance: it was late when we got there (close to 9:00), on a Tuesday, and there were not a lot patrons. It was nice because it was so quiet. But later a few people were kind of whooping it up at the bar and they turned the music up quite a bit and I was that stodgy annoyed person who must be like 75 years old.

No comments: