Saturday, July 2, 2011

Il Corallo Trattoria, 172-176 Prince St., Manhattan

Pat said to me this morning, "remember when we used to do nothing all day?" He was referring to the first six or so months of our relationship. We really did live suspended in time for a while, luxuriating in languor, accomplishing nothing productive (at least on weekends!). Ah, it was good.

So today I placed aside any ambitions I had harbored (my resume, my name-change paperwork, the thank-you notes) and relived it. We did motivate ourselves to leave the house around 4:00 - we did some shopping in NoHo and SoHo, fully in line with self-indulgence. I wanted to check out a shoe store I had walked past in a hurry a few days prior, called United Nude. The shoes are mesmerizing. I covet them. Then while Pat was in the Apple store, I cruelly led on the salespeople in the Glory Chen shoe store, trying on $525 pairs of shoes and acting as if I might seriously purchase them. I am sure I do not need to explain that they were strictly fabulous, but it may come as a surprise (it surprised me) that they were also very comfortable.

We wandered at random in search of dinner, and landed on Il Corallo Trattoria, in SoHo. It has an enormous menu of pastas and some pizzas too. Scarcely had we placed our pasta orders (black seafood ravioli for me, with a tomato cream sauce) when they appeared before us all steaming and hearty. And it was plenty good for the very cheap prices.

Dessert was a bust, however. We spied delicious-looking cookies in the window of a bakery called Birdbath (160 Prince St.). I got a coconut one which turned out to be way too fibrous, and Pat's chocolate chip cookie had a weird taste. How could such great-looking cookies be so disappointing when consumed? Ugh.

No comments: