Friday, July 1, 2011

Izzy & Nat's, 311 S. End Ave., Manhattan

I wrote about this Battery Park City place before, but then it was called Dizzy Izzy's. The name change combined with the fact that I had a splendid bagel today prompted me to give it a new entry.

I have noted before that I am no bagel connoisseur. Today, however, my toasted sesame bagel with cheddar-jalapeno cream cheese seemed way above and beyond your standard bagel. The divine textures, the flavors (not spicy, BTW)....could it be that New York is making a bagelophile out of me?

And afterward I went back to another scene of previous culinary enjoyment, the Shake Shack, for a chocolate shake. The caramel shake of a previous visit was better, in my judgment. But I LOVED being the only person, at lunchtime, to take the C-Line (cold foods only) option, thereby bypassing a line around the block, and absconding with my shake in a mere few minutes. Well, in truth, I felt guilty about it. Probably there were people in the long line who would have assaulted me if I'd lingered long enough to catch their eye. But that is why the C-Line was set up. I was merely following the game plan. I need to get over the guilt.

I learned some very sad news today. The wife of a former co-worker of mine died, at age 39. I did not know her well but spent time with her while watching company softball games and at other social events, and I am weighed down by the consciousness that the world lost someone who truly improved it. It is a smothering sadness.

No comments: