Friday, July 15, 2011

Park Avenue Summer, 100 E. 63rd St., Manhattan

Park Avenue Summer was our Restaurant Week finale. It is on the Upper East Side and apparently every season it changes decor, menu, and even name ("Park Avenue Winter," etc.).

This was the best of our three Restaurant Week experiences. The food was a delight before we even got what we'd ordered - we were treated to cheddar rolls and sweet corn rolls, plus cubes of yellow watermelon sitting sweetly atop skewers in a little container of fake grass. I had a very pretty little beet salad to start and Pat got decadent gnocchi. He then paid extra for the filet mignon which he thought was great, and I had scallops. That dish had a couple little missteps - the scallops were a little on the chewy side, and there were these unfortunate seeds that would sneak up on you with a disturbing crunch just as you were enjoying a bite. The desserts were great. Pat had a pistacchio cake thing and I had peach panna cotta that had a very potent basil foam (who knew foam could pack so much punch?) and a layer of light gelatin and a very pure-tasting creamy base. It also came with lovely lemon cake fingers, which it didn't need.

Unrelatedly, I had a New York rite of passage today when I spent an hour and forty-five minutes at the DMV, trading in my Washington license for a New York one. I'm now not only a real New Yorker in the eyes of the state, but also one step closer to leaving my maiden name behind, which is cool.

No comments: