Friday, July 22, 2011

Thalia, 828 8th Ave., Manhattan

We have my dear college roomie Becky and her husband Nate to thank for a great dinner last night at Thalia, in midtown. They provided a gift certificate as a wedding present. We greatly enjoyed our meals. It turns out it is actually still Restaurant Week (make that "Weeks") and Pat ordered pork tenderloin off that menu. He also got what was practically a vat of soup and dessert (chocolate/peanut profiteroles - very decadent). I got beef spareribs with asparagus, beets, and a parsnip puree. Does the puree sound kind of weird? Because it was. It was good, though. All of it was delicious and two thumbs up for the clever arrangement of the white asparagus under the meat, as if it were the bones. Cute!

I am compelled to note that New York (well, half the country, actually) has become an oven, and the subway has become that part of the oven from which the blue flames emanate to heat the whole thing. I am surprised there are not train breakdowns because of the heat, but bless those trains, they just keep humming along with nary a wait of more than a few sweaty minutes. I guess it is not strictly necessary for me to point out that Washington trains seemed to break down all the time in the heat and cause massive delays and backups, even though that system is actually air-conditioned, so let's just pretend I didn't point it out in a superior manner the way I just did.

No comments: