Thursday, June 16, 2011

Delmonico's, 56 Beaver St., Manhattan

I hate going to a restaurant by myself. I feel very self-conscious and lonely even when it is a good experience. I am going to stop torturing myself thusly in the future.

Meanwhile I gave it a whirl tonight. A month or so I got a free $25 gift certificate from restaurants.com when I bought some contact lenses (I know, random) and I thought, as if I had never been down this road before, "this would be perfect for some night when Pat is out of town but I still need to eat." So I chose Delmonico's, in the Financial District.

It was good. The staff was very nice to the self-conscious, lonely woman dining alone, and the filet mignon and creamed spinach were up to par. It turns out $25 does not go very far at Delmonico's, but at least it was really good and I have leftovers. I got so into the New Yorker story I was reading that I largely forgot how pathetic I felt.

But in the end, I miss my husband, and what am I trying to prove, dining out alone as if it doesn't bother me? It bothers me! So that's enough of that.

No comments: