Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pescatore, 955 2nd Ave., Manhattan

Benefiting from yet another FoodieRegistry.com gift certificate, this one from my college roomie Michelle and her family, Pat and I went to Pescatore in East Midtown last night. The place was hoppin'!

I had the Sicilian seafood couscous, with a wide variety of seafoods, and the flavor was great. I liked that it was ringed with clams and mussels in their shells. The shrimps were overdone, but the other elements were perfectly cooked. Pat had the salmon ala plancha, which was good and came with some interesting gnocchi. And we topped it all off with a satisfying order of tiramisu. We also each enjoyed a glass of wine, and in fiddling recklessly with the dessert menus, I spilled Pat's wine on his pants. He was very forbearing about this incident, which I appreciated. I tried to look on the bright side, noting that I believed this to be the first time I had spilled something on him, despite spilling things on myself constantly.

The diners seated next to us were amusing. On my left was a man who went on and on to his companion about the negative impact of austerity measures in some country whose name we did not catch; it reminded me of the type of conversation you would typically be subjected to in Washington. On my right was a couple with a baby and the baby's grandfather. The baby was extremely well-behaved but after they fed him they wanted him to go to sleep in his stroller, and he was clearly awake and eager to continue to be part of the conversation. It was funny.

I have had some work to do this week (yes, yes, I still occasionally draw a meager paycheck) and I didn't leave the house at all on Tuesday, so yesterday I dropped everything at 2:00 and went to Central Park. I took the subway allll the way to the top (110th St.) and explored some of the parts above 90th St., including the conservatory garden, which is nice, but not exceptionally nice. I saw a woodpecker and a small waterfall, and lay down on the grass for a while, marveling at the beautiful weather. It was bliss.

No comments: