Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Locanda Verde, 377 Greenwich St., Manhattan

It is with a heavy heart that I report the good news that my daytime partner in crime, Matt, shared with Pat and me last night: he has found a job. Our midday, weekday jaunts around New York's splendid restaurants and watering holes will come to an end on June 27. Not that we did it so many times, but still, the OPTION was always there.

Now I guess I'm just going to have to drink alone at 11:00 AM on a Tuesday. Just kidding. Actually Matt's news coincides nicely with my determination that I really should find a job of my own, darn it. I have started to reach a point where I would get to the end of the day and not only feel totally unproductive (expected) but also feel kind of disappointed, like I wished I had made better use of the time, somehow. If I am no longer going to revel in my laziness, then it is time to stop being so lazy.

We learned Matt's bittersweet news at Smith & Mills, a very small cocktail joint at 71 N. Moore St. in Tribeca. I had a Dark & Stormy and it made me plenty happy.

We went across the street to Locanda Verde for dinner, and despite their polite warning that we would have to wait a while for a table, the wait was not bad at all. We sat outside. The mixed fried seafood appetizer was outstanding, and the burrata was also delectable. Each of us had pasta entrees and each of us was very pleased with ours. Mine was "Grandmother's Ravioli" stuffed with a mix of pork and beef. The portions were modest but the appetizers helped to fill us up.

No comments: