Monday, June 6, 2011

Shake Shack, 215 Murray St., Manhattan

Everyone will tell you the Shake Shack is a New York institution. "You'll wait in line for two hours," they'll say, "but it's worth it." As a barely employed New Yorker, during these glorious spring days of late, there was no reason for me not to brave the line. I do love a good milkshake.

Still, I couldn't bring myself to do it. There are a lot of other ways to occupy two free hours in New York. Also, we heard they opened a Shake Shack in Washington, which was just kind of an insult. What's the point of living here if you don't have exclusive access to the best of everything? Why should staid old Washington get in on the action just months after we left? Maybe Shake Shack is just not as cool as everyone insists. (We also heard that a Luke's Lobster opened in Washington, but I haven't been able to bring myself to google it to verify this potential outrage.)

But mere days ago, they opened a Shake Shack in Battery Park City, and Pat and I stumbled upon it in its infancy. Which is to say, the line is quite short. We plunged in. Each of us had a Shack Burger and a caramel milkshake, and Pat also got an order of fries. It was all very high quality. The fries were crispy and delicious. The shakes were the perfect consistency - thick yet slurpable - and the flavor was impeccable. The hamburgers and their buns and toppings were juicy and fresh. Both of us thought the Shack Sauce did not improve the burger; I found it excessively salty. It is interesting that they standardly cook their burgers to medium doneness, whereas Five Guys cooks them well-done, presumably to avoid any possibility of giving their customers food poisoning. The fact is, since I was a kid, I have liked a well-done or even an over-done burger. That is just the way I like them to taste. But I respect that Pat and others are pleased that Shake Shack presents a pinker alternative. That is just the way he likes his burgers to taste.

Now that I have experienced for myself what all the hoopla is about, I can still say I would not stand in a long line at Shake Shack, but I'd say it's worth a short wait. It is also encouraging that they have a separate line if you just want cold items.

No comments: