Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bubby's, 120 Hudson St., Manhattan

Brian and Becca came into town for the car show and chose Bubby's in Tribeca for dinner on Saturday.

I ordered the barbecue combination platter, and while they were out of one of the three meats, the remaining two were REALLY good. My sides were top-notch: broccoli with a dreamy cheese sauce, and creamed spinach. I got a Dark And Stormy to drink and it was great; I would have had a second (and possibly even a third!) but for the $12 price tag.

As we were eating, an enormous fiberglass cow was placed outside window right in front of our table, its rear haunches facing in at us. Humourous.

Brian and Becca told us the coconut cake was out of this world, and I tried a bite of Brian's: YUM. My own dessert, peanut butter and chocolate pie, was really good but far more peanutty than chocolately, unfortunately. It really needed a fudgy, half-inch layer of chocolate under all that peanut creaminess.

It has to be said that the service was slow and haphazard. It was as if the several different staff who attended to us were all thinking of something entirely different. We were kicking back and enjoying the company so it wasn't really a problem, but it was certainly an area in need of improvement.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Pat and I went back to Bubby's with his sister and their parents last weekend. I again had the barbecue platter and it was again wonderful, and I had a great Pineapple Smash cocktail (still believe the Dark & Stormy is better).

Unfortunately, they told me they have reduced their production of desserts and don't have all of them every day, and they didn't have coconut cake that day! Grrrrr.

Since I can't stop thinking about it, I will also mention that mid-way through his meal, Pat's dad choked, and I feared for a few awful, adrenalin-filled, never-ending seconds that I would have to give him the Heimlich maneuver, since no one else seemed ready. But then he recovered, and relief oozed through every cell in my body.

This incident of course reminds me of the time when Pat's mom almost died when we took them to a baseball game, but that's a story for another time.