Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Inatteso Pizzabar Casano, 28-30 West St., Manhattan

I don't know how I lived so long without SeamlessWeb, back in the dark ages before our move to NYC. I can't believe I used to have a file folder - yes, an actual manila folder - labeled "Delivery" and I would put actual paper delivery menus in it and then leaf through them when I needed food in Washington. Which, by the way, was such a rarity, because not a lot of places delivered to my 'hood anyway, and back then I used to....cook. I know. I know. Take a minute to let it sink in.

To be honest, last week I started to rediscover cooking, though it makes me feel like less of a New Yorker to admit it. On our way back from our mini-moon, we stopped at a Shop Rite in Perth Amboy, and we bought ingredients. Then I baked bread and cooked some pork in the slow cooker, and made my ghetto fake-crabmeat-mayo-and-french-dressing pasta dish. We have feasted on sandwiches and wraps and ghetto pasta. It has been healthy and economical and even pleasurable, and it fills me with urban shame.

But it's not like I have kicked my restaurant habit, or my SeamlessWeb habit. Last night we ordered from Inatteso Pizzabar in Battery Park City. In under 40 minutes we were treated to a large margherita pizza with added mushrooms, and we thought it was terrific. Four thumbs up.

There is a new little hurdle for our delivery people: our building is being staked out by the media. While future generations will no doubt view this as the least interesting non-story ever, and in fact I find it that way myself right now, apparently plenty of people out there can't get enough news about the French head of the IMF who resigned after being accused of sexually assaulting a hotel housekeeper. The guy posted bail and is now staying temporarily in our apartment building. 24 hours a day, bored-looking reporters and photographers linger outside the front and back entries, shining bright lights on the doors and yearning for this non-celebrity to emerge. Let's just say he doesn't go out a lot. Anyway there are extra security guards and police officers posted so it must be a bit intimidating for a delivery person, although maybe they see this all the time in New York. Imagine if a genuine celebrity were staying here!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

We ordered again last night from Innateso, and were equally delighted. We got the margherita with mushrooms and roasted peppers. Primo.

It also arrived super-speedily - about 20 minutes!