Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Breslin, 16 W. 29th St., Manhattan

Today I enjoyed another long lunch with my fellow Real Housewife of New York City, Matt. What could be more perfect than an entertaining friend who is free for weekday outings? Yayyyy! Er, what I mean is, I hope you get a job soon, Matt!

We went to the Breslin, at the Ace Hotel in the Flatiron district. I noted that as with our last lunch date, Matt had suggested a location very heavy on the cow decor. But it is a very appealing space. I had a great refreshing cocktail called "Lust for Life," and Matt drank his 2011 summer staple, Campari with soda.

The food was really great. We started with a bowl of mussels and chorizo in a delicious broth with bread to soak it up. It had sounded good, but was even better than I anticipated. Matt got a softshell crab sandwich with decadent fries, and I had a veal sandwich with roasted potatoes. Really satisfyingly tasty.

Portions weren't huge, but that just set us up for dessert. We went to Matt's go-to cupcake place, Buttercup Bake Shop, 973 2nd Ave. We are not really into doing things halfway so we ordered four of them and shared: hummingbird, lemon, red velvet, and German chocolate. The best was hummingbird. It was just lovely. German chocolate was also a winner, and lemon had a great tangy flavor, although it and red velvet were a little too dry (cakey, as Matt characterized it).

No comments: