Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hudson Square Exchange, 333 Hudson St., Manhattan

I have a dearth of New York friends; it's quite sad. So I did a web search for various groups or clubs I might join to meet some people. I was elated when I found a group called Silly Drunken Board Games!

I was really, really excited about this so I dolled myself up and walked all the way to Hudson Square Exchange in the West Village. It was such a gorgeous day! And I felt as green to New York as the first day I got here 3 months ago, marveling at where I was. Ahhhh.

The silly drunken board game players were, on the whole, a good bunch. I talked for a while with a kid Ben who is a reformed vegetarian ("I was vegetarian my whole life until about four years ago when a waiter said that adding chicken to your salad was a half-price special"....awesome!) and a dancer (contra, tango). There was a woman named Victoria who seemed very laid back but then turned out to be a smoker - who wants smoker friends? A freelance copy editor named Sadie was amusing but not my type, and I didn't get to have a conversation with Rachel, the host, who seemed really nice. A securities and exchange lawyer, Doug, was kind of excessively intense, and Linda didn't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Jennifer partnered with me for Scrabble and was way better at it than me, but I didn't get much of a sense of her personality. Manuel, from Spain, was nice, as was Roshan.

I would go again. Might bring my own board game because I feel like we had too many large-group games underway, and smaller groups would have offered a better opportunity for me to befriend people, which is obviously in everyone's best interests.

Oh I almost forgot to describe the restaurant. It was surprisingly quiet for happy hour; perhaps there are not a lot of offices around there? I ordered a burger and did not like it. It was a little too uniformly textured, and the taste was kind of odd. Also, I was supposed to get truffle fries, and I am pretty sure they were just regular fries, although they were perfectly good.

No comments: