Thursday, March 10, 2011

David's Bagels, 331 1st Ave., Manhattan

NFT described David's Bagels, in Gramercy, as having the "hands-down best NYC bagel." I couldn't resist.

The challenge is that as with pizza, I am not a bagel snob. I'm not a fan of particularly hard or soft bagels, but in that middle range, a bagel is unlikely to disappoint me. I enjoyed my sesame seed bagel with lox spread from David's, but probably I would have enjoyed my order equally well from a place too unnoteworthy for NFT.

It was pleasingly chewy. Plenty big, maybe even a touch too big. I was certainly full when I finished. The spread was delicious and applied in the appropriate quantities, but a couple stringy bits got caught in my teeth. Perhaps that is inevitable with a lox spread. What do I know? I'm no bagel snob.

After that I went back to the Financial District for another look at the potential new home (still fabulous, 19 hours later!), but also poked around Robert F. Wagner Park a bit, looking at its running potential. Seems like you could run all the way from Battery Park through RFW Park (why must people give parks such long names?) into Hudson River Park, and go for miles. Anyway it was quite lovely at Robert F. Wagner Park, and there were very people around, but to be fair, it was quite a rainy day.

No comments: