Friday, March 11, 2011

36th Street Royal Thai Cuisine, 318 W 36th St., Manhattan

It rained buckets last night, providing the perfect opportunity to try http://www.seamlessweb.com/. They list all the restaurants that will deliver to you at any given moment. Our choices were a whopping 417 places! New York, I'm not sure how I lived without you for so long.

We selected the Thai restaurant rated highest by customers, 36th Street Royal Thai Cuisine in Murray Hill. My green curry with shrimp was tasty but just plain too hot. I kept having to drown my burning tongue in ice water every couple of bites. Pat's panang curry with chicken, which I enjoyed as leftovers at lunch today, could actually have used more heat or, really, a little more flavor, but it was good too. I also got the Tom Yung Koong soup and it was, in the parlance of Goldilocks, just right.

I went out at lunchtime to hunt down rice to supplement Pat's leftovers, and noticed a cupcake truck on the corner of 34th and Park Ave. We had cupcake trucks in Washington so I'm not all wide-eyed about this, but I will say that since coming to New York, I have viewed it as my duty to try things, especially gastronomical things, so there was no resisting the siren call of the Cupcake Crew (http://www.cupcakecrewnyc.com/). I chose the regular-sized mint chocolate chip cupcake (they also offer minis, to which I say hell no) out of a selection of five or six flavors. It was moist and amply-frostinged and delightful, and just the right amount. I like an oversized cupcake, but there's less guilt associated with a normal-sized one like today's beauty.

Pat and I have sprung for the apartment in the Financial District. We are excited. We signed a lease today. Now we just need to be creative enough to decorate the fantastically imposing space appropriately.

No comments: