Thursday, March 3, 2011

Resto, 111 E. 29th St., Manhattan

Resto in Murray Hill was recommended by the guidebook my sister gave me, the Not For Tourists Guide to New York City. This book has become my bible.

Still, Resto had some minuses with its pluses. The pluses were: delicious frites (we had the sweet chili and the lemon and paprika sauces; both were good); huge portions of mussels (Pat had the green curry and I had the mustard/bacon; his was better); great beer (Pat had Wostonjie mustard beer and I had Corsendonk brown; both excellent); pleasant setting. I liked the drink menu pasted into the pages of a gardening book.

The minuses: tables too close together (the waiters kept pressing up against my chair); service was a little slow; whipped salt cod appetizer was nothing to write home about; the beer was expensive ($14 for Pat's bottle and $12 for mine); close to half of my mussels were unopened (not that I could have eaten them all in any case!).

No comments: