Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pizza 33, 489 3rd Ave., Manhattan

We headed for dinner last night at Resto, on 29th St. at Park Ave. in Murray Hill, but it was closed for a private party, so we went instead to Pizza 33. It is much more a takeout/delivery place than sit-in. The pizza was nothing special. The toppings (fresh mozzarella, red sauce, basil, meatballs) were good and the crust was fine. It was one of those crusts that get saggy in the middle and I know a lot of people like that, but I prefer an all-around sturdy crust.

Earlier in the day I had explored the Upper West Side and found it very pleasant. It would be a lovely place to live from a runner's/walker's point of view, with paths along the river on its west side and Central Park on the east. Much of the architecture was grand and interesting, and it was lively along the avenues without feeling at all hectic. Broadway Ave. in particular is bustling and had restaurants and shops that drew me. The subway access was simple and I could see myself living there.

I have started noticing signs around New York that make me extremely happy: fines of $350 if people honk! Honking drives me crazy.

I went for a short run from our apartment, down 34th St. toward the river. There are signs for a "greenway" if you take a left at the river but it is currently under construction, appearing anything but green, and I find it hard to imagine it will be terribly pleasant even when it's done, running as it does alongside a busy road. Still, any path is a welcome one for a runner in a city.

No comments: