Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wolfgang's Steakhouse, 4 Park Ave., Manhattan

Pat's sister Kathleen and her boyfriend Paul took the train in to stay overnight with us and celebrate Kathleen's birthday at Wolfgang's Steakhouse in Murray Hill. It was a magnificent feast. I skipped the bread and so my first treat was a hulking slice of Canadian bacon, I wish it had had more fat to soften it up a little but it was very good nonetheless. Then the main event showed up: filet, ribeye, and porterhouse, and roasted potatoes, and creamed spinach. I had requested the filet but it was the least good piece; the porterhouse was fantastic. I have been disappointed by many a creamed spinach but at Wolfgang's it was all I had hoped for. We gorged ourselves, and then in an act of masochism, we ordered a slice of cheesecake and a hot fudge sundae, each with a massive dollop of schlag. The cheesecake was the right consistency but the taste was a little salty, somehow. The sundae was decadent. The schlag was like a fat, heavy cloud that drifted down from heaven.

I ate way too much.

Still, I look eagerly forward to the leftovers.

No comments: