Friday, March 4, 2011

Murray's Bagels, 500 6th Ave., Manhattan

I savored a sesame seed bagel with kalamata olive spread, and a cup of hot apple cider, at Murray's Bagels on the upper edge of the West Village. All good.

It was again freezing, so I wasn't really up for much walking around, but I saw the upper part of the Village, including a short foray up the High Line. That was a little bit of urban joy that I hope to see more of on a day when my lips aren't whipped numb by the wind. What little I saw of the West Village was very appealing, with snazzy housing that really looks like New York (in contrast with the Park Slope and Chelsea streets that could have been in a pleasant but mundane elsewhere) and some hip-looking stores and eateries. I wanted to burst into Christian Louboutin even before I could make out from the sign that it was, in fact, Christian Louboutin, but then I checked my fleece-pants-and sneakers-wearing self and determined to save it for another day.

It looks like you could run or bike along the river.

Walking back through Midtown, I had this thought: you know how the internet is like all the world's stores virtually in front of you, and you can get anything you want? Well midtown is like all the internet physically in front of you, and you can get anything you want.

No comments: