Saturday, March 19, 2011

Nomado 33, 165 E 33rd St., Manhattan

I don't think I have ever under-ordered sushi. I look at the options and several of them sound good and I never quite realize how much food I'm ordering. At Nomado 33 in Murray Hill, we ordered a banana tempura roll, a rainbow roll, a California roll, and a rock 'n' roll (hee hee) and we left there stuffed to the gills. It was all good, though. I think the rock 'n' roll was the best. We washed it down with sake.

Last night I did the unthinkable: I COOKED DINNER AT HOME. I know! It is MADNESS!! It was not because I was sick of eating out (although Pat was a little sick of eating out); it's just that there are all these alluring specialty food stores and I wanted to take advantage. The shopping wasn't as much fun as I envisioned, though. Di Palo's, in Little Italy, was kind of chaotic, and I deplore chaos, plus there were only a few things for a meal I could get there, so I had to hunt down a proper grocery store afterward. And since I didn't even have basic spices or things like sugar and olive oil, there was a certain amount of pantry-stocking that added up monetarily, to the point where it might have been cheaper to eat out once again.

The results were good, though. We had a mouthwatering Italian staple, the insalata caprese (LOVE that fresh mozzarella), and spaghetti with a tomato clam sauce. I thought it was decent but Pat seemed exceptionally happy with it, which made me feel good. There was a ton of leftover sauce so I stuck it in the freezer.

No comments: